Known to be a huge town and also enjoying the status of the biggest international seaport in Bangladesh, Chittagong is one of the popular cities that you can explore! This city enjoys its tourist status as much as Dhaka and Sylhet and experiences several foreign tourists visiting this city on an annual basis. Sometimes, international tourists might find the crowd and chaos around certain city areas, such as close to the Railway Station and New Market Circle to be slightly chaotic, but Chittagong has other tourist sites to count on during your vacation. So if you’re game for budget travel, quickly opt-in for the cheap flights to Chittagong from an online travel agency and save more on your travel.
Top places to visit:
So if you are making your sightseeing list in Chittagong, here are few names that you should add on.
- The Shrine of Bayazid Bostami – This site is a pious place that attracts many tourists and pilgrims. Right at the base of the site, you will come across a huge pond with turtles swimming. There’s an ancient lore pertaining to this as well. However, in terms of architecture, this site is grand and is a great subject for photography if you love to photograph.
- The Foy’s Lake – This site is known for its scenic backdrop and surrounding and is a pleasant tourist spot for picnics and outings.
- World War Cemetery – This is a scenic site which is actually a burial ground of as many as 700 soldiers who belonged to Canada, Netherlands, Australia, New Zealand, West and East Africa as well as Japan who had lost their lives at Myanmar front during the time of the World War II.
- The Ethnological Museum – Looked upon as a distinctive treasure trove of multiple tribal cultural artifacts and heritage of Bangladesh, this museum is a must visit for the ones who love history and wants to delve deep.
- Patonga Beach – Located at a distance of about 22 km from Chittagong this beach can also be reached using a motor vehicle. As you make your way to this beach, you have the chance to cross Patenga Airport.
- The Court Building – Located in the Fairy Hills, this ancient building offers a panoramic bird’s eye view of the whole city! The view from the night is especially scenic. This Court Building was established as soon as the East India Company has taken over Chittagong and had also declared it to be another administrative zone back in 1773. This building is vast and has more than 250 thousand square feet and has several rooms as well.
- The Fouzdarhat Sea Beach – Often considered to be one of the best picnic and hang-out spots by many locals and tourists, this site is located at a distance of 16 km from Chittagong. Also at a distance of 37 km from Chittagong, there is a rather scenic place named Sitakunda that also has a railway station of the same name. And here you can go and visit the Chandranath Temple as well as the Buddhist Temple where you will come across a huge footprint of Lord Buddha. These sites are well regarded by the Hindus and the Buddhist, especially the mountain tops, where the much talked about Shiva-Chaturdashi festival gets arranged annually during the month of February where several pilgrims gather for about 10 days at a stretch. In addition, you that you will also come across a salt-water spring that is situated at a distance of 5kms towards the north of Sitakunda, which is known as the Labanakhya.
- Kattali Beach – Chittagong is a place of natural beauty! So if you have been planning to explore a natural beachhead to this site where you will also find rich mangrove forest towards the west of Halishahar as well as south of Kattali.
Winter is the best time to visit Chittagong as the weather is conducive for sightseeing! Though you will find tourists and travelers all across the year, yet winter is the time which you should aim for. However, since it’s going to be a peak season, you always can opt-in for cheap flights to Chittagong as you plan your vacation and save more.